Is the weather fit for sailing?
What can be improved?
Your help is very welcome
Sail Training Section
Contact Rodger to register your name for future training. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Awareness training what is it about?
The disability awareness training takes place over a couple of weekend days. The theory part is delivered by a local training company, ARC Learning Ltd, who are based in Union Mills. The practical aspects are covered in new crew training and can be taught by our skippers on board POM III.
It is the wish of the charity that all crew undertake this training in order to fully meet the needs of our disabled sailors.
Aims of the training.
- To demonstrate how to work alongside people with disabilities
- To demonstrate how to facilitate inclusivity of people with disabilities
- To give practical knowledge and advice to facilitate the above.
Attenders will be aware of and demonstrate knowledge of:
- The needs of disabled adults & children
- Improved communication skills
- A better understanding of disability and its’ challenges in a sailing environment.
Topics covered may include gaining trust, communicating well, managing risks, moving safely around the boat, how to enable a clients’ potential, using the galley, assisting with care, comfort and safety when at sea.
Please contact Carole Quayle ( see contacts) for dates available and to book a place.
SFTD TEAM TRAINING 2018
It’s taken a while but we now think we have a framework for developing the talent of our team of volunteers!
What we intend doing is as follows:-
- A ‘completion session’ ( or two!) for those of you that undertook some or all of the modular training programme last year. This should prepare you for the RYA ‘Competent Crew’ certificate.
- The launch of the next ‘Competent Crew’ programme for those new members who have already undertaken the Awareness sessions. This will probably be some 6 sessions, some static some sailing, after which you should be ready to be assessed for the RYA Competent Crew Certificate.
- Running ‘by popular demand’ a couple of practice sessions for those interested ( at Day Skipper Level) for passage planning, pilotage and similar.
For all the above we intend issuing you with an RYA personal log in which you may record your events, sails and activities as a permanent record of your sailing experience.
We’ll be holding a series of short meetings with Skippers and Mates, and volunteer crew who are interested in joining us on this journey.
This should enable us to have more crew to take more sails and enable our members to remember great sails!
SAILING WITH SFTD
A DOZEN OR SO MEMBERS HAVE PARTICIPATED RECENTLY IN A MODULAR TRAINING PROGRAMME, AIMED AT INCREASING CONFIDENCE, COMPETENCE AND SAFETY, AS WELL AS ADDING TO THE ENJOYMENT OF SAILING FOR CREW AND CLIENTS.
FOUR OF US HAVE PROVIDED STATIC AND SAILING TRAINING MOST WEEKS FOR THE LAST FEW MONTHS, AND, TO MAKE IT WORTHWHILE AND PRODUCTIVE WE NEED TO KNOW WHAT YOU WOULD BE PREPARED TO DO.
THE MODULES LAST ABOUT 15 HOURS AND REQUIRE AROUND 6-8 ATTENDANCES TO COVER THEM ALL; SOME ARE ESSENTIAL, OTHERS DESIRABLE, DEPENDING UPON HOW FAR YOU WISH TO BECOME INVOLVED.
WE WOULD LIKE TO KNOW:
- WOULD YOU LIKE TO BECOME INVOLVED IN THE NEXT AUTUMN TRAINING PROGRAMME?
- ARE YOU PREPARED TO COMMIT TO 4/5 EVENINGS AND 3-4 AFTERNOONS OVER A THREE MONTH PERIOD?
- WOULD YOU LIKE TO PROGRESS YOUR EXPERIENCE BEYOND BEING A CREW/CARER?
JUST SEND AN E-MAIL TO email@example.com OUTLINING WHAT YOU’D LIKE TO DO, AND THEN THE TRAINING TEAM MAY DESIGN A PROGRAMME WITH DATES (AND ALTERNATIVES) FOR LATER THIS YEAR.
WE LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING FROM YOU!
SFTD SAILING TRAINING
To provide members with the knowledge and experience to be competent crew ( and more!)
To provide sufficient numbers of crew to enable most if not all(types of) sails to take place
To enable members to contribute fully in the provision of good safe sailing experiences
A TRAINING TEAM (usually four members) to deliver training modules over a 2/3 month period
for new and interested members to meet objectives above ( twice per year) by:
- Providing periodic 'Refresher' training for longer standing members who wish to 'brush up' on the skills
- Providing periodic 'Practice Sessions' for specific skills for members wishing to participate.
The training team will compare progress of each participant and recommend the grade/level at which each member may best operate.
Passing these recommendations to SFTD Committee for ratification/approval.
A larger 'roster' from which to invite/select a crew for each sail to ensure it may take place
Greater satisfaction from safe sailing experiences for crew and enabled members
The programme may be extended to embrace:-
- Enabled members wishing to participate more in the sailing activity
- Aspirant mates and skippers where opportunities to acquire and practise skills may be provided,
- Assessment and recommended grading may be undertaken by an RYA accredited Instructor.
The Training quartet meet occasionally to review material, recommend next group of invitees, recommend grading to committee,
Recommend sailing experience to participants, review supporting literature to develop a consistent approach to sailing POMIII.
Basic sail training for existing and new members
To assist in the development and to allow existing and new members to work effectively when sailing a number of training modules have been designed that meets the requirements of the charity and its users.
The modules range from providing an overview of the charity and the safety of those who sail through to how to handle the sails and winches, mooring the boat, rope work and on-board domestics are also covered in the 15 modules. Not all modules are applicable to all members bur some are mandatory and you will have an opportunity to discuss with a member of the training team your specific requirements.
The dates of the training will be published in the sailing programme and anyone wanting more information is asked to initially email firstname.lastname@example.org so that one of the training team can get back to you.
To build upon the training we provide its essential that you also join our standard sails so that you can put into practice your learning. The training its not a prerequiste to you sailing and your skipper will take into consideration your level of competence and provide guidance on your sails.
Details of the course modules are available by clicking here