The lucky winners of the 100 Club prize draw of December 2021 are:
First prize - number 61 Nicky Kelly £30
Second prize - number 23 Ian Gardner £15
Third prize - number 43 Mark Buttery £8
The CHRISTMAS BONUS prize of £10 goes to Ade Sanderson
The 100 Club is a prize draw that helps to raise funds for your charity. We need more members joining the 100 Club so more funds will be raised. The more members we have the bigger the prizes!
The cost is only £2 per month, that is £24 usually paid annually. Members stand a very good chance of winning and recuperating their subscription. Application forms can be downloaded here.
Progress on Pride of Mann III.
Pride of Man III was taken to Whitehaven in late November for routine maintenance and repairs. Weather has been a factor in delaying the lift out and work. We are hoping to get the boat back in early January subject to completion of the works and suitable weather window for the trip back. We will update you early in the new year. On its return Pride of Man III will return to Peel until dredging works, adjacent to our birth in Douglas are completed. We have no estimate of how long this will be as the dredging is dependent on tides and weather.
Work currently in progress in Whitehaven.
- Hull under the water cleaned and repainted with anti-fouling.
- Top sides cleaned and polished
- Engine service including analysis of an oil sample to determine engine condition.
- Gas safety test
- Repairs to teak on cockpit sole.
- The full cockpit cover has been removed to be cleaned. All the windows in the cockpit cover will be replaced with a specific high quality material which will increase visibility and should last far better. In addition, there are a number of other repairs to the cockpit cover including replacement of broken zips and other fastenings along with a number of other repairs to areas of wear.
- Replacement of warn foresail sheet and broken starboard sheet car. On a section of the sheet the outer sheath had warn through as a result of a jammed roller on the sheet car.
Every two years Pride of Man III is taken away for routine maintenance and repairs. This is now due and the opportunity has arisen to take the boat to Whitehaven on Monday 22 November to be lifted out and the work undertaken. The work is expected to take two weeks and includes painting below the waterline, gel coat repairs and engine maintenance. There then needs to be a weather window and a skipper and crew avialable to bring her back. As soon as POM III is back we will restart the sailing program keep an eye on the website and facebook.
Disability Awareness Training Saturday 15 January 2022
***This course has been postponed untl Saturday 15 January 2022**
The disability awareness training takes place over a full weekend day (1000h-1600hrs) and is delivered by a local training company, ARC Learning Ltd, who are based in Tromode, Douglas. The first part of the day is classroom-based, and the afternoon gives the opportunity for practical exercises on the boat. Some aspects are covered in the new crew training and can be taught by our skippers on board POM III during static sessions and scheduled sails.
It is the wish of the charity that all crew undertake this training in order to fully meet the needs of our disabled sailors.
Aims of the training.
- To demonstrate how to facilitate inclusivity of people with disabilities
- To give practical knowledge and advice to facilitate the above.
- To demonstrate how to work alongside people of all abilites
Attenders will be aware of and demonstrate knowledge of:
- The needs of disabled adults & children
- Improved communication skills
- A better understanding of disability and its’ challenges in a sailing environment.
The date of the training is Saturday 27th November 2021, and places are limited to 8 people .
To book your place, please contact Carole Quayle via email@example.com. asap as places fill up quickly.