Is the weather fit for sailing?
Better than a Lucky Dip !
Volunteers needed !
Enjoy Your Sail
ENJOY YOUR SAIL ON "Pride of Mann III"
If it’s your first time sailing, or the weather forecast is ‘variable’ here are a
few hints and tips to help you enjoy your sail!
- Have a light evening meal the night before, avoiding spicy dishes excessive alcohol, and anything that may cause your digestive system to work harder!
- Have clothing that will give you two or three layers; it may be sunny in harbour but chilly out at sea. The SFTD skipper will provide you with foul weather gear to wear over your clothes
- By all means have a sea sickness pill, preferably the night before, and again in the early morning of your sail as an ‘insurance policy’. You’ll probably then think you didn’t need them;- great!
- Pack the most un-necessary item you’ll never need, a plastic or paper bag. If you have one you’ll worry far less about needing one!
- Pack easily digestible food that will give you energy rather than indigestion. It’s often better to eat little during the trip, and then feel ravenous when you step ashore.
- A pack of ginger biscuits or ginger sweets help some people and could help you!
- If you do feel ’queasy’ don’t go below, you’re likely to feel worse.
- If you do feel unwell focus on the horizon, the shore or another distant object forward of the boat, rather than the next large wave; your eyes will see a smoother seascape and your stomach will act accordingly
- If you are sick, bend down from a seated position and use your bag; you’ll feel less embarrassed and we’ll all hardly notice!